The first day at a new job can be nerve-racking for anyone. I spoke to Abbie Nelson, 17 about her experience at Whitehall Garden Centre, Lacock. She started her first part-time job at Whitehall on 18th August 2014 at the age of 16.
Why did you choose to work at Whitehall?
Well if I'm honest I wanted the money and it was the only one I could get (laughs). However, saying that, it is a very popular company and I thought it would be a nice place to work.
How did you get the job?
I went into the store and handed in my CV to the manager, a couple of days later I received an email asking me to come for an interview. The interview was quite short and vague which made me question my chance of getting the job however I then received a phone call telling me that I had got the job.
Tell me about your first day
I was actually sent to the wrong department on my first trial shift, I was supposed to work at the seasonal department but was sent to the restaurant. I was quite confused but I am shy therefore I didn't know who to speak to so I just stayed there and eventually they realised that they were wrong.
Oh no, did that incident put you off the job?
Not that incident, I didn't really like the job in general though.
How come?
I wasn't used to working long shifts so I found that quite challenging, also I didn't know anyone and I found that daunting. I have had some bad experiences with customers as well, some of them can be very rude.
Can you point out a bad experience with a customer?
Yes, I have more than one. I have had a couple of customers swearing at me, I hadn't done anything wrong but they were just frustrated by some sort of sale the company was doing. It annoys me because it is unnecessary to take it out on me.
How was your first day at whitehall relevant to your life now?
I still work there, over a year later. I have learnt a lot of skills for example the value of money and good customer service.
No comments:
Post a Comment