Monday, 18 January 2016

eBook Reflection

My European Favourites eBook is complete, before starting to make the book I wrote a proposal explaining why I decided to make Europe the topic and who the target audience is. Travelling can be a broad interest therefore I found it quite difficult to focus on making it suitable for a certain type of audience. Considering I have included a mixture of opinionated and factual information, it can be seen as a bit of a guide so people viewing the book may be those who haven't previously been travelling and want to seek advise. On the other hand people who have an interest in travelling and have had experience may read the book for further inspiration or just because thats what they are interested in reading. I have included a section on inter-railing and I have mentioned that it is considerably cheaper for people under the age of twenty-six so that could contribute to the audience, maybe the younger generation would have more of an interest. 

The colours I have used are quite simple, the dark blue background and salmon and grey text demonstrates that the book is gender neutral. The overall layout looks polished and defined, normally I would leave a lot of blank space of a page to make it look professional however considering it is an informative book I have filled the pages up with text and images to get the information across.

I assumed that the type of people that would have an interest in travelling across Europe would be part of the younger generation, possibly aged 30 and under. I originally thought this because this is the time where younger people have completely finished education are starting off working. Before getting stuck into a career they may have spare time that they would like to spend seeing more of the world and exploring. I showed my twenty year old sister my finished product, she liked the topic of the book and mentioned that she would love to go travelling in Europe within the next couple of years and reading a book similar to the one I have created gives factual yet persuasive information about places she wishes to visit. My sister and I then spoke about the target audience and she agreed with me that the audience is probably quite broad considering a vast majority of people can have an interest in travelling however similarly to me she highlighted that the younger generation have more of an opportunity to travel.

An online book store allows you to search for a book that you are particularly interested in, there are a variety of different topics however the audience should be able to type in the author, title, or the genre/theme. As my product was an eBook for a book store I had to consider how I could make use of the computer when making it. Firstly I added all of the content to the pages and polished off the design, after this I thought about how I could make the book interactive and add entertainment for the viewer. On the front page I have included a spinning world which will attract and interest the audience to make them want to read on, originally I wanted to include a map and have a clickable link on the cities I have included in my book and when they have been clicked the viewer is directed to that page. I started to design this but I found it quite difficult and I struggled with fitting it in with the time we had to finish the product. On each page I have included and arrow at the bottom right which is a clickable link to the following page, this just makes it easier for the audience to reach the next page and it adds entertainment and makes it different to an ordinary print-based book. 

If I was to design another eBook I would make sure that I research the topic I would like to include. When creating European favourites I found myself doing research throughout the process, I wish I did this before beginning to create it on InDesign because it took up unnecessary time and I only wanted to focused on one thing at a time just to make sure that I was organised with my work. Another thing I would do differently is add more content by adding more pages. I have only included 7 pages in European favourite which isn't much of a book however considering the time frame we had, it would've be difficult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment